The firm's tax team regularly advises clients on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, joint ventures and debt and equity financings, with an emphasis on tax planning and on designing creative business and corporate structures. Our tax team focuses on the clients' needs seeking to provide comprehensive advice by anticipating and resolving potential tax issues while following a business-oriented and practical approach.
In particular, our tax lawyers have proven experience in:
• planning regional and domestic investment platforms and holding structures;
• advising on international and domestic financings and restructurings, including through loans, trusts and bond offerings;
• structuring cross-border reorganizations, redomiciliations and domestications;
• providing strategic advice in connection with the selection of appropriate corporate forms and vehicles, including tax transparent entities and full-stoppers;
• creating cross-border strategies through efficient contractual mechanisms for transfer pricing and risk allocation purposes;
• advising local and international clients on the impact of tax treaties and on current legal developments in domestic and international regulations;
• tax and estate planning for high net-worth individuals; design, implementation and restructuring of trusts and foundations.
Our firm represents clients in administrative proceedings and litigation before the federal, provincial and local tax authorities and courts in a wide array of tax related matters. Our lawyers work in close cooperation with the firm's Public Law and Business Regulation practice, whose members are among the country’s most reputable experts in public and constitutional law and litigation. This approach strengthens our tax litigation practice and maximizes our ability to provide alternatives to clients involved in tax-related legal proceedings.